Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do the Chinese use chopsticks and we forks and knives and spoons?

1. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #1
    hotchef is offline NOT always in the kitchen Gender: maleLocation: MoscowReputation: 2,931 points 
    Last Online
    20 Apr. 2013, 20:23
    Said "thanks"
    408 times
    Said "huh?"
    13 times
    Huhed at
    64 times for 47 posts

why do the Chinese use chopsticks and we forks and knives and spoons?

and many Arabs /Asians eat with their right hand? ( I know why not the left hand but why hand at all?)

question put to me by a young cousin for a assignment,

EATING HABIS OF DIFFERENT CULTURES AND NATIONS
    I am a Chef and supposed to know these things but had a rather weak answer i think. Maybe here something better comes up? Wiki has nothing...
    Good food, one of the few pleasures of mankind...

2. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #2
    Barry is offline Banned Reputation: -3,126 points 
    Last Online
    21 Aug. 2012, 08:45
    Said "thanks"
    243 times
    Said "huh?"
    14 times
    Huhed at
    62 times for 54 posts
    Sri Lanka they don't use anything but hands, just pick up the food with their hand and stuff it in. Guess that's why they don't eat soup.

3. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #3
    Lled is offline not that other crap Gender: MaleLocation: Thailand & Hong KongReputation: 45,050 points 
    Last Online
    Today, 02:36
    Said "thanks"
    4,835 times
    Said "huh?"
    17 times
    Huhed at
    16 times for 13 posts
    "Life is anything that dies when you stomp on it"

4. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #4
    Carbo is offline Forum Elder ! Gender: Big ErnLocation: Maximum security stockadeReputation: 109,709 points 
    Last Online
    27 Jul. 2014, 18:31
    Said "thanks"
    16,749 times
    Said "huh?"
    129 times
    Huhed at
    87 times for 78 posts
    Larry David wonders the same thing.

I've been thinking some of suicide,
    But there's bars out here for miles

5. The following user says thank you to Carbo for this post: Limitchik (28 Jul. 2012)
  6. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #5
    Said "thanks"
    18,957 times
    Said "huh?"
    292 times
    Huhed at
    76 times for 69 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Larry David wonders the same thing.
    That man has made an art form out of asking and satirizing the embarrassingly stupid questions that pop into people's heads (he's also made a nice living out of it, too).
    I plan to live forever. So far so good.

7. The following user says thank you to Limitchik for this post: Carbo (28 Jul. 2012)
  8. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #6
    Carbo is offline Forum Elder ! Gender: Big ErnLocation: Maximum security stockadeReputation: 109,709 points 
    Last Online
    27 Jul. 2014, 18:31
    Said "thanks"
    16,749 times
    Said "huh?"
    129 times
    Huhed at
    87 times for 78 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitchik View Post
    That man has made an art form out of asking and satirizing the embarrassingly stupid questions that pop into people's heads (he's also made a nice living out of it, too).
    It's just his childlike oblivion to social norms. Like, after the reaction to the chopsticks question, he finishes off with a question about whether the poor girl might have a psychopathic parent.

I've been thinking some of suicide,
    But there's bars out here for miles

9. The following user says thank you to Carbo for this post: Limitchik (28 Jul. 2012)
  10. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #7
    woodville is offline All Sixes & Sevens & Nines Gender: MaleReputation: 85,429 points 
    Said "thanks"
    9,660 times
    Said "huh?"
    59 times
    Huhed at
    56 times for 48 posts
    Because they can?
    It's less of the what and the where and the how,
    It's more of the you and the me and the now.

11. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #8
    bcrglobal is offline P!ss Taker In Chief. Gender: Hunk a burnin loveLocation: Imagine hell....now imagine it hotter, and with lots of sand. Now you're close.Reputation: 48,096 points 
    Said "thanks"
    3,596 times
    Said "huh?"
    117 times
    Huhed at
    61 times for 56 posts
    Because they're savages! I tell you, they're not civilized and developed like we are, no sir.

Cunning little yellow chappies with slanted eyes and black greasy hair. Can't trust em, I tell you. Order chicken in one of their shops, and you'll likely get served dog instead! I went to one of their places, bloody little buggers couldn't understand a word I said. I asked for chicken and chips, and this woman says "oh, you wan numma thity thlee?". No, I don't want a bloody thirty Thlee, I says to her, I want a chicken and chips. Well, this woman brings me 2 bloody sticks to eat it with....so I says to her, listen, luv....I'm a European. We've done this thing called civilizing and inventing, and one of the things we invented was knives and bleeding forks! Go get me some, chop chop! And she did. Cheeky little thing had them In the back, but they just wanted to laugh at the Europeans trying to eat with sticks!

But I'm not racist. I left her a tip, and even asked if she could do my laundry.

Bloody savages.

12. The following 7 users say thank you to bcrglobal for this post: Beachcomber (28 Jul. 2012), Britmikh (28 Jul. 2012), Godfather (2 Aug. 2012), M-C (29 Jul. 2012), Suvorov (28 Jul. 2012), Voodoo (28 Jul. 2012), woodville (28 Jul. 2012)
  13. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #9
    woodville is offline All Sixes & Sevens & Nines Gender: MaleReputation: 85,429 points 
    Said "thanks"
    9,660 times
    Said "huh?"
    59 times
    Huhed at
    56 times for 48 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrglobal View Post
    Because they're savages! I tell you, they're not civilized and developed like we are, no sir.

Cunning little yellow chappies with slanted eyes and black greasy hair. Can't trust em, I tell you. Order chicken in one of their shops, and you'll likely get served dog instead! I went to one of their places, bloody little buggers couldn't understand a word I said. I asked for chicken and chips, and this woman says "oh, you wan numma thity thlee?". No, I don't want a bloody thirty Thlee, I says to her, I want a chicken and chips. Well, this woman brings me 2 bloody sticks to eat it with....so I says to her, listen, luv....I'm a European. We've done this thing called civilizing and inventing, and one of the things we invented was knives and bleeding forks! Go get me some, chop chop! And she did. Cheeky little thing had them In the back, but they just wanted to laugh at the Europeans trying to eat with sticks!

But I'm not racist. I left her a tip, and even asked if she could do my laundry.

Bloody savages.
    ............................................AND breathe.

Better now?
    It's less of the what and the where and the how,
    It's more of the you and the me and the now.

14. The following user says thank you to woodville for this post: bcrglobal (28 Jul. 2012)
  15. Forum Homepage / New Posts / #10
    matt24 is offline Addict Gender: MaleLocation: MoscowReputation: 13,977 points 
    Last Online
    Yesterday, 14:32
    Said "thanks"
    892 times
    Said "huh?"
    14 times
    Huhed at
    5 times for 5 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotchef View Post
    and many Arabs /Asians eat with their right hand? ( I know why not the left hand but why hand at all?)

question put to me by a young cousin for a assignment,

EATING HABIS OF DIFFERENT CULTURES AND NATIONS
    I am a Chef and supposed to know these things but had a rather weak answer i think. Maybe here something better comes up? Wiki has nothing...
    Was it not an odd choice for an Austrian to enter into the culinary arts? Culturally Austria is hardly up there on the list of countries that have an esteemed culinary tradition - on a par I might suggest with the Americans and their association with cricket - Was it a brave counter cultural decision to become a cook, or did you think you were onto an easy gaff - learn one cake and how to deep fry heh presto!?

The Chinese and much of the far east use chop sticks as an alternative to forks - they still employ knives and spoons, but on a more economically efficient centralized basis.

16. The following user says thank you to matt24 for this post: Limitchik (28 Jul. 2012)
  17. The following user says "huh?" to matt24 for writing this sheer nonsense: hotchef (28 Jul. 2012)